Established Real Estate Tax Attorneys Serve Chicago Businesses
Illinois lawyers draw on extensive experience handling property issues for clients
Commercial real estate in a major metropolitan area like Chicago represents a huge investment for landlords, developers and corporations. It’s unlikely you will find a bargain, but a good deal is possible, especially when you get sound legal advice on complex issues that affect commercial, industrial and residential properties. At Rieff Schramm Kanter & Guttman LLC, our attorneys draw on more than 140 years of combined legal experience to help make your real estate holdings more valuable and your transactions more profitable by providing sound advice on tax, eminent domain and condemnation issues.
Trusted advocates provide knowledgeable advice to commercial clients in Cook County
Businesses in the greater Chicago metro area who retain our services find us to be:
- Practical — We understand that businesses want value from a law firm. We provide reliable legal advice and effective representation that reduces costs so your company can be more profitable.
- Reputable — While serving Chicago-area businesses for more than 20 years, our firm has garnered an excellent reputation. Three of our attorneys are AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell® in recognition of professionalism and ethics in the practice of law.
- Attentive — You shouldn’t have to compete for your attorney’s attention or have your concerns filtered through layers of junior associates and paralegals. We give you direct access to an experienced partner attorney who takes a hands-on approach to representation. Through individualized attention, we craft legal solutions to fit your specific business goals.
Like many urban areas, Chicago has policies designed to encourage industrial, commercial and multi-residential development. We assist our clients in obtaining equitable property tax assessments, assessment incentives, tax abatements, and fair compensation in eminent domain and inverse condemnation proceedings.
Dedicated legal team addresses Chicago real estate issues
Our clients include developers, real estate investment trusts, banks, Fortune 500 companies and not-for-profit organizations as well as individual property owners and small businesses. Our attorneys regularly handle:
- Property tax appeals — We assist business property owners with appeals of tax assessments based on various circumstances, such as lack of uniformity, recent sale price, expert appraisal, inaccurate classification and vacancy.
- Property tax assessments — If you feel the assessment of your commercial property is too high, we can examine the assessment and suggest grounds for reducing what you owe.
- Property tax settlements — As skilled negotiators, we help property owners reach favorable settlements on back taxes.
- Tax incentives — We help business owners take advantage of tax incentives to purchase, restore and remodel property throughout the greater Chicago area.
- Tax abatement — Cook County offers a wide range of tax abatement programs to encourage businesses to develop blighted areas. Our knowledgeable attorneys help you obtain every advantage.
- Eminent domain — We represent landowners in condemnation actions in Cook County, Lake County and vicinity. We help our clients fight the seizure by challenging the government’s purpose for taking the property. Alternatively, we help our clients reach a settlement that reflects the fair market value of the property.
- Inverse condemnation — When government actions diminish the value of commercial property, we help owners present a claim for damages to compensate them for their losses.
Rieff Schramm Kanter & Guttman LLC represents clients with properties in the metropolitan area as well as entrepreneurs throughout Illinois. We also work with a network of property tax attorneys throughout the United States and Canada.
Contact a respected Chicago law firm for real estate and tax issues
Your company’s real estate can be a valuable asset or a drain on your resources. The difference often depends on the quality of your legal representation. For reliable advice from a reputable law firm, call Rieff Schramm Kanter & Guttman LLC at 331-310-0855 or contact our Chicago office online for a free consultation.