Mr. Kanter is AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®, the highest recognition possible in the legal industry, for his professionalism and ethics.
Mr. Kanter has limited his practice to Real Estate Tax Assessment Law for over 32 years. He was Chairman of the State and Local Taxation Committee of the Chicago Bar Association; has served on the Chicago Bar Association Special Subcommittee in conjunction with the Circuit Court of Cook County and State’s Attorney’s Office to establish a Small Claims Procedure for Real Estate Tax Objections. He also served on the Joint Legislative Committee of the Chicago and Illinois State Bar Associations, which enacted legislation that provided interest on court-ordered tax refunds. Mr. Kanter has authored many articles on real estate taxation and environmental contamination’s effect on property values and has moderated panels and lectured extensively on real estate taxation matters. He received his B.S. from the University of Illinois and J.D. from the John Marshall Law School.
- Real estate tax assessment
- Illinois, 1965
- U.S. District Court, District of Illinois, 1965
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1998
- John Marshall Law School, J.D., 1965
- University of Illinois, B.S., 1962
Associations and memberships
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Assistant Supervisor, Capital Stock Tax Division, State of Illinois, Department of Revenue, 1962-1968
- Chairman, Chicago Bar Association Real Estate Taxation Committee
- Author: “Pitfalls of Real Estate Taxation: Let the Buyer Beware,” The REIT Report, 1997
- Co-author: “Real Estate Taxes: Pitfalls for the Unwary Practitioner,” Chicago Bar Record, June, 1991
- Lectured: Chicago Bar Association Real Estate Taxation Programs, 2006
- Moderator and Panelist: Real Estate Taxation Session, NARIET Law and Accounting Conference, 1997
Rieff Schramm Kanter & Guttman serves clients nationwide and throughout Canada.